Sunday, January 23, 2011

Gaga for crockpot


Before we get started, this post is not about Lady Gaga dressed as a crockpot. Sorry to disappoint you. Although, if she ever appears on Fashion Police in that outfit, remember, you heard it here first.  


Okay, onto my obsession. Over the last few months, I've become obsessed with my crockpot. Not just with the crockpot itself, but the use of it. I always feel like super mom/wife when I come home from work and I can say "dinner will be ready in 5 minutes". Now, I've had a crockpot pretty much all my married life (25+ years, thank you very much). I would use it occasionally for a roast and I have ventured out and made enchiladas in it once, but that was the extent of it......until I found this website: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/.  This woman named Stephanie made a New Year's Resolution to use her crockpot everyday in 2008. She seriously has a recipe for everything. I figured, if she could use it everyday, I could at least use it once a week for something besides a roast. I try to use it weekly, but you know, sometimes life gets in the way and we have to eat out or I will actually have to pull out a pan and whip something up. I've pretty much decided that you can just throw anything into a crockpot with some seasoning and liquid and it will be pretty good.

Here's a few things that come to mind when I talk about easy:

  • 3 chicken breasts (frozen)
  • 1 jar of salsa verde
  • Cook it on low all day long. Shred it up and put it in tacos, tostadas or even make enchiladas.
Another recipe comes from Flint. It's for crockpot French Dip:
  • 1 chuck roast
  • 1 packet Au Jus (dry)
  • 1 packet ranch dip (dry)
  • 2 cups water
  • You can add onions or peppers if you like.
  • Cook on low all day. Shred it up and put on a bun. Delicious.


For dinner tonight, we had crockpot beef stroganoff.  It's not from Stephanie's site, but it was delicious and easy. Here's the recipe: http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/recipes/main-courses/slow-cooker-beef-stroganoff/.  The picture below is what was left after 3 of us ate. Yay for leftovers! I'll try my best to post my weekly crockpot recipe.

So, what are your favorite recipes?

-Glue

3 comments:

  1. I have tried your Salsa Verde Chicken Breast recipe! Love it. Easy, spicy, yummy!

    I love to say that I could put an old work boot in the crock pot and with the right seasoning...it will come out delicious!

    Favorite app for the iPhone is the Crock Pot app! The Cioppino recipe in the app is WONDERFUL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sand and Glue have set the bar very high for Flint, and the rest of the blogosphere.

    My New Year's resolution last year was to do every recipe in Mastering The Art of French Cooking IN THE CROCK POT! This year I've resolved to speak with a silly french accent and slowly get cooked. And to follow the Three Chicas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm liking your resolutions for this year.

    ReplyDelete