Sunday, February 27, 2011

An Ode to John...

It's Oscars night and I was thinking back to my first celebrity crush. It started in the 6th grade and I even have a scrapbook to prove it. My crush was on John Travolta. Yeah, he was the business back then.

My crush started while watching a show called "Welcome Back Kotter" and then intensified when I watched "Saturday Night Fever". This movie was all the rage back in the disco days. Man, I really wanted to be able to dance like those in the movie. I think I still secretly do. I wanted to be Stephanie, never Donna. (You'll know what that means if you've ever seen it) I'll never forget the day that my mom said it was okay to see the movie. We were only 12 and it was rated "R". She dropped us off at front of the movie theater and yelled from the car "it's okay for them to see it" and they let us right in. When I look back now, that movie was a VERY adult movie, but in my 12 year old mind, it was the best day ever!

Let's see, I can't forget to mention "Urban Cowboy". I think I was in 9th grade by then and I think I wore out that soundtrack on cassette. I wanted to be Bud's Sissy. A few years back I made my daughter watch Urban Cowboy with me. I couldn't wait for her to see the part where Bud puts Sissy's name plate back into the window of his truck. She wasn't moved like I was.

The last two that I will mention is "The Boy In The Plastic Bubble" and "Grease". Grease is the word! I'm thinking Lifetime should have a John Travolta movie marathon soon. I would gladly stay in my pj's and watch all day long.


It seems like John has done okay for himself over the years. I'm glad to say that I've been a fan since the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment